Trending Health Topics - Environmental Health Section


  • State of Nevada: Local Health Authorities
  • NOT Approved as Food Additives
  • Nevada Administrative Code (NAC) Chapter 439, relating to hemp
  • Mold
  • Landlord Tenant Issues
  • Keeping a Healthy Home
  • Water Testing

State of Nevada: Local Health Authorities

Cannabidiol In Food Products (CBD)

The Federal Food, Drug & Cosmetic Act prohibits adding approved drugs to human or animal food in interstate commerce. The 2018 Farm Bill legalized hulled hemp seeds, hump seed protein powder, hemp seed oil, to be used in a food product. Cannabidiol or CBD is NOT an approved additive in a food product.

Proposed Changes to NAC Chapter 445A

Proposed Changes to Nevada Administrative Code Chapter 439: Hemp Products Intended for Human Consumption (R035-22)

AN ACT relating to hemp; replacing the term “industrial hemp” with the term “hemp” and revising the definition thereof; requiring the Department of Health and Human Services to adopt regulations requiring the testing and labeling of certain commodities and products made using hemp and certain similar products which are intended for human consumption; prohibiting a person from selling or offering to sell such commodities or products unless the commodities or products satisfy certain standards relating to testing and labeling; authorizing the retesting of a crop of hemp that has failed certain tests prescribed by the State Department of Agriculture; and providing other matters properly relating thereto.

Mold Information

The Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health does not have jurisdiction over mold or water damage complaints in a private home or a rental home in the State of Nevada. Below is a list of 10 items you should know about mold to keep your home safe.  

    1. Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposures include allergic reactions, asthma and other respiratory complaints.
    2. There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
    3. If mold is a problem in your home or school, you must clean up the mold and eliminate sources of moisture.
    4. Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth.
    5. Reduce indoor humidity (to 30-60%) to decrease mold growth by: venting bathrooms, dryers and other moisture-generating sources to the outside, using air conditioners and de-humidifiers, increasing ventilation, using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing and cleaning
    6. Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
    7. Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, that are moldy, may need to be replaced.
    8. Prevent condensation: Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (i.e., windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors) by adding insulation.
    9. In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting (i.e., by drinking fountains, by classroom sinks, or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation).
    10. Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance, providing moisture is present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.

      Mold Testing or Sampling

      Is sampling for mold needed? In most cases, if visible mold growth is present, sampling is unnecessary. Since no EPA or other federal limits have been set for mold or mold spores, sampling cannot be used to check a building's compliance with federal mold standards. Surface sampling may be useful to determine if an area has been adequately cleaned or remediated. Sampling for mold should be conducted by professionals who have specific experience in designing mold sampling protocols, sampling methods and interpreting results. Sample analysis should follow analytical methods recommended by the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA), the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH), or other professional organizations. [Source: U.S. EPA Website]

        Mold Information Links:

        Landlord Tenant Issues

        For more information on the rights and obligations of tenants and landlords, visit the Nevada Law Library, Nevada Revised Statute Chapter 118 A:


        If you rent a home, condominium, or apartment and you have a pest infestation, moisture problems (including the presence of mold), poor maintenance or another major structural problem, or if your home does not have heating, air conditioning, running water, hot water, electricity or gas, follow these steps to get the issue(s) resolved:

        • Send a certified, dated letter to your landlord notifying him or her of the problem and request that it be fixed and mention your intentions should the problem not be resolved. Keep a copy for yourself.
          • Send a certified, dated letter to your landlord notifying him or her of the problem and request that it be fixed and mention your intentions should the problem not be resolved. Keep a copy for yourself.
          • Essential services (e.g. no of heating, A/C, water, electricity or gas): Your landlord has 48 hours to either fix the issue or make satisfactory progress towards fixing it (not including Saturday, Sunday or a legal holiday).
        • If the issue is not resolved within 14 days or 48 hours (whichever timeframe applies to your situation) you can start civil legal proceedings. If necessary, Nevada Legal Services is one resource you may find helpful to start the civil process.

        Nevada 2-1-1

        2-1-1 is a special telephone number reserved in Canada and the United States to provide information and referrals to health, human and social service organizations. Dialing 2-1-1 in almost every part of the United States will connect you to human and social services for your area.

          2-1-1 services include places to find emergency food, housing and emergency shelter locations, children’s services, support for seniors older persons and people with disabilities, and mental health and counseling services, among many others.

            Nevada 2-1-1, a program of the Financial Guidance Center, is committed to helping Nevada citizens connect with the services they need.

            Water Testing for Private Well Owners