Complaints: Food Establishments

Food Complaints in Nevada

If you would like to file a complaint about a food establishment please be prepared to provide as much information as possible when calling your local field office.

    The more information you are able to provide about your complaint, including your contact information and contact information for the owner, the more likely it is that we will be able to find a solution to the problem. You may remain anonymous.

      The Division of Public and Behavioral Health will generally take complaints regarding the following public health conditions, including but not limited to:

      • A possible foodborne illness
      • A food establishment operating without a permit
      • A food product or problem (for foods originating in Nevada)
      • Poor food establishment conditions
      • A dog in a food establishment
      • Sewage smell, sewage spills or problems
      • Trash nuisance
      • Public nuisance

      How to report a suspected foodborne illness

      Please contact your healthcare provider if you require immediate medical assistance. Please see our FAQ link to the right column on this page for more information on foodborne illness. This information is for reporting only and not intended for diagnosis or treatment.

      • Call us: If you are reporting a foodborne illness Monday through Friday 8 AM to 5 PM please call your local field office.
      • Email us: please use our email address to send your contact information and DPBH-EHS will return your phone call the next business day.
      • After Hours: • Call the 24 hour Duty Officer or use the 24 hour email to report your illness.

      Be prepared to provide us with the following information regarding your suspected foodborne illness

      • Your symptoms: time it started and frequency of events.
      • The foods you have eaten within the last 72 hours.
      • Name and locations where to food was obtained and/or eaten
      • Note: All Information provided will remain confidential.

      Nationwide Consumer Products

      U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 

      • Food - To report problems, including adverse reactions, related to any food except meat and poultry, contact the district office consumer complaint coordinator for your geographic area.
        o District Office Consumer Complaint Coordinator, Nevada 510-337-6741
      • Animal feed/food or pet food/treats 
        o If you are a manufacturer, report problems with reportable animal feed through the Safety Reporting Portal.
        o District Office Consumer Complaint Coordinator, Nevada 510-337-6741

        U.S. Department of Agriculture/Food Safety Inspection Service (FSIS)

        If the problem involves meat or poultry, which are regulated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, call the USDA hotline at 1-800-535-4555.