FAQs - Shellfish Distribution Program

Frequently Asked Questions

Who requires a certificates to operate a wholesale shellfish operation?

A person shall not operate as a wholesaler unless the person has been issued a certificate by the Health Division.“Certificate” means the certificate of authority to affix a stamp to containers of shellfish that is issued by the Health Division and authorizes a person to operate as a wholesaler.

What regulations are used to regulate shellfish in Nevada?

The State Board of Health has adopted by reference the Shellfish Sanitation Model Ordinance set forth in the National Shellfish Sanitation Program Guide for the Control of Molluscan Shellfish, 1997 edition, published by the Food and Drug Administration of the United States Department of Health and Human Services, and any subsequent edition that is approved by the State Health Officer for use in this State. For the purposes of carrying out the provisions of NAC 583.532 to 583.590, inclusive, any reference in the Shellfish Sanitation Model Ordinance to the term “authority,” unless the context otherwise requires, shall be deemed to mean the Health Division.

Where can I obtain a copy of the sanitation regulations?

See "Statutes" page above. 

How do I apply for a certificate?

To apply for a certificate, a person must submit to the Health Division:
(a) A completed application on a form provided by the Health Division;
(b) A written description of the type of business in which the person wishes to engage and the facility that will be used;
(c) A map which indicates the location of the facility;
(d) A plan for analyzing the hazards of critical control points; and
(e) The applicable fees.