Radioactive Material Program (RAM) FAQs

Radioactive Material Program

How long is my license good for, and why do I need a completely new application for a renewal of a radioactive materials license?

Radioactive materials licenses are to be renewed every five years. However, the fees are due every year. A licensee must review (and document the review) their radiation protection program annually and review the possible changes to Nevada Administrative Code (NAC 459) and the Legislative Counsel Bureau at The regulations will be enforceable as they are adopted, including prior to being codified. The complete application allows the Radiation Control Program to help licensees remain compliant as the regulations and license conditions change.

How long does it take to get my license or amendment?

This depends on the type of material, use and quality of the application. Medical radioactive materials license applications will take three to four months. New industrial radioactive material license applications (Fixed and portable gauges) you should anticipate three months for issuance. Manufacturing or broad scope licenses, that are more complex, may take six months or more.
Amendments also vary depending on the complexity, but generally are much quicker. If the amendment request is a single aspect and is complete, it is often less than ninety days. If the amendment is missing necessary information, we will issue a deficiency letter. If there is no response within thirty days, we will consider the action closed.
Your operations will be enforced by the conditions of your current license. You must wait until you have your amendment to make the requested changes.

How do I amend my Radioactive Materials license, and is there a fee?

Send the request in the form of a letter, on company letterhead, to our office. Please include the name and license number you wish to amend. An individual who is authorized to act on behalf of the licensee must sign all amendment requests. To prevent delays, the request must also include all accompanying paperwork needed to complete the request. There is no fee for amendments.
My radioactive materials license authorizes use and storage of licensed material at “Temporary Job Sites” with in Nevada. What qualifies as a “Temporary Job Site?”
A “Temporary Job Site” is defined relative to a “Permanent Site” where radioactive material is stored or used under the same license. The “Temporary Job Sites” are to be used less than 180 days during a twelve-month period. If material is stored or in use at a “Temporary Job Site” for more than 180 days during the twelve-month period, then that site is no longer considered temporary and an application must be filed for a separate radioactive material license. The storage and two tangible barriers regulations apply as they would with permanent storage.


What do I need to submit for reciprocity?

A three working day notification is required by regulation.


a. A complete application which can be found here.

b. A check for the appropriate fee found in regulation at NAC 459.310.

c. A copy of the most recent amendment from your regulatory agency, and be in good standing with the agency.

d. Proof of Radiation Safety training for the user(s). 


** A check (no credit) must be in the Carson City office prior to granting reciprocity. 

How long is my reciprocity license good for?

Reciprocal Recognition of a radioactive materials license is valid for 180 days in a calendar year.

What if I can’t give the required three day notification?

Along with the items mentioned previously, you will need to submit a hardship letter explain the reason why the 3 day notification was not possible.

Can I enter Nevada while waiting for my paperwork to be completed?

No. The reciprocity paperwork (General License and Authorization Form) is required to be in possession to enter the state. The 180 days is from the day entered until the day left, not working days.

What can I do if my work will go beyond 180 days in Nevada?

If your work continues for more than 180 days during the twelve-month period, then you will need to apply for a Nevada Radioactive Materials License. The fees are on the web site under radioactive materials fees. All remediation of days used, must be submitted in writing within 7 working days to the Nevada Radiation Control Program.

Can I get reciprocity for radiation producing machines?

No. Reciprocity does not apply to x-ray use. To bring an x-ray machine into Nevada from another jurisdiction, you must register it with the Nevada Radiation Control Program and include shielding plans. This requires a two-day notice and the fee must be paid prior to entering Nevada. The fees are in NAC 459.310.