Music Therapists in Nevada

During its 2011 session, the Nevada Legislature declared that the practice of music therapy is a learned allied profession affecting the safety, health and welfare of the public. This site will provide Nevadans with information about what music therapists do and how they are regulated by the state. This site also contains information music therapists will need to become licensed and remain licensed to practice in Nevada.

    What is a music therapist?

    “Music therapy” means the clinical use of music interventions by a credentialed professional to accomplish individualized goals within a therapeutic relationship. Credentialed professionals must have completed a music therapy program approved by the State Board of Health.

      Music Therapist Licensing in Nevada

      Visit this link for information about applying to become a licensed music therapist in Nevada.

        I am a licensed music therapist, do I need a business license?

        A sole proprietor (e.g., an individual who becomes licensed as a dietitian or music therapist and wants to open their own consulting business) or partnership must also obtain a State Business License or Certificate of Exemption by visiting SilverFlume Nevada's Business Portal at


        NOTE: You can conduct your annual State Business License renewal at SilverFlume Nevada's Business Portal at

          Verify a Nevada Music Therapist

          To verify a music therapist license online, visit the Nevada Online Licensing System. (Note: When the online verification page opens, change the business unit to "Dietitians and Music Therapists." When accessing this site, do not use the Google Chrome browser; use Internet Explorer 9-11, Safari 5.0 or Firefox 26-40.)

            Get Info About Music Therapists and Applicants

            If requested, the Division of Public and Behavioral Health shall provide a list of the names of applicants for a license and licensees and the names of those whose licenses have been revoked or suspended. To request a list please email

              Nevada Laws

              Visit this link for information about Nevada laws governing music therapists.



                  Contact Us

                  Music Therapist Licensing Unit
                  727 Fairview Drive, Suite E
                  Carson City. NV 89701
                  Phone: (775) 684-1030
                  Fax: (775) 684-1073

                  General Information

                  Regulatory Partners