Permits: Food Establishments

A Food Service Establishment is a place where food is provided for individual portion service directly to the consumer, whether the food is provided free of charge or sold, and whether the food is consumed on or off the premises. This includes restaurants, bakeries, take-outs, pizzerias, night clubs, cabarets, bars, senior centers, emergency food relief organizations, public and non-public schools, or religious, fraternal and charitable organizations. Such establishments are required to obtain a permit from the Environmental Health Section.

    Permit to Operate

    Any person desiring to operate a food establishment must submit an application and any other requested documents to the health authority.

      A permit to operate a food establishment is required in the following counties: Churchill, Elko, Esmeralda, Eureka, Humboldt, Lander, Lincoln, Lyon, Mineral, Nye, Pershing, Storey, and White Pine counties.

        Supplemental Application

        All persons intending to operate a Food Establishment must submit a Supplemental Application. This application collects information specific to the facility type.

          Checklist: Documentation Requirements

          • Permit to Operate (See "Forms" tab)
          • Supplemental Food Establishment Application (See "Forms" tab)
          • Food Establishment Menu or Product List
          • Equipment Specification sheets (i.e. Manufacture Specification Sheets)
          • Current Food Manager Certification
          • Hazards Analysis of Critical Control Points (HACCP) *If required*
          • Label Review Application and fees *If required*

          Food Establishment Plan Review Information

          Nevada Revised Statute 446.930 and Nevada Administrative Code 446.955 requires that properly prepared plans and specifications be submitted to the Health Authority for review and approval when a food establishment is newly constructed, extensively remodeled, or if an existing structure is converted into a food establishment before any work has begun.


          Payment of Fees

          Payments using the on-line system require an e-check or credit card. If unable to use the on-line system, the accepted payment types include: cash, check or money order. Please make payable to the Division of Public and Behavioral Health (DPBH). All permits, annual and temporary submitted on paper, and mailed or hand delivered must be accompanied by payment. DPBH does not accept credit cards over the phone.

            Exemption from a Food Establishment Permit