Office of Vital Records

General Information

The fastest way to obtain a birth or death record is by ordering online through or by calling Vital Chek at 877-456-5410.

You may schedule an advanced appointment at our Carson City office. To request an advanced appointment, please email our Customer Service Desk.
Please be advised that if you arrive without an appointment, our office must prioritize advanced appointments. You may experience longer than normal wait times.
In the interest of safety, only one family will be allowed into the Vital Records lobby at a time. Please limit the number of people coming to an appointment to the absolute minimum.
Genealogical Searches - Appointments are required. Each appointment is a maximum of 30 minutes and each name (or variant) searched is $10.
For Amendments and Corrections - Adoption orders and Correction packets may be mailed in,
Declarations of Paternity - Appointments are encouraged. Declarations of Paternity must be signed in our Carson City or Southern Nevada Health District offices.

Fraudulent Third Party Websites

The Department of Health has received increased number of calls about third-party vendors selling birth, death, marriage and divorce certificates. These companies charge customers high fees to “process” or “help apply” for certificates issued from the Department of Health. If you have ordered through one of these third-party companies and would like to file a consumer complaint, please call the State of Nevada Attorney General Bureau of Consumer Protection at (702) 486-3132 or toll free at (888) 434-9989. For more information please visit their website at the Bureau of Consumer Protection.

Who Can Order a Record?

The Office of Vital Records requires proof of relationship to ensure the State Registrar is satisfied that applicants for a birth or death record have a direct and tangible interest in the recorded matter pursuant to Nevada law.

Marriage and Divorce Records

Please note that marriage and divorce records are held at the county level. For certified copies of marriage certificates, you must write to the County Recorder in the county where the license was purchased. For divorce records, you must write to the County Clerk in the county where the divorce was granted.

Are COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Funds Still Available?

Yes. The Federal Emergency Managment Agency will be offering Funeral Assistance on a limited basis until September 30th, 2025.  Please click here for more information.

Contact Us

4150 Technology Way Ste 104
Carson City, NV 89706
Phone: (775) 684-4242
**We No Longer Accept Faxed Documents**
Email Customer Service

General Information