Burning Man: Food, Water, Septic

Topics On This Page

Food Establishments (Temporary Event Permits)

If you plan to serve food or share food, including certain beverages, at Burning Man, you will need a temporary event permit from the Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health (DPBH); Environmental Health Section (EHS). Our goal is to keep people from getting sick on the playa. We work closely with the Burning Man Project (BMP), the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), and Law Enforcement staff, cooperatively to protect public health.

    Last Day To Submit Applications: August 11, 2023

    Exemptions from a temporary food permit

    NAC 446.633  Exemptions from provisions of chapter. (NRS 439.200, 446.940)  The health authority may exempt a temporary food establishment from the provisions of this chapter if the health authority determines that the particular food which is sold, offered or displayed for sale or served at the establishment does not constitute a potential or actual hazard to the public health. The health authority may compile a list of beverages and foods that it determines do not constitute a potential or actual hazard to the public health. The list may include, without limitation:

    • Bottled water and canned soft drinks.
    • Coffee or tea, or both, with powdered nondairy creamer or ultra-pasteurized dairy creamer packaged in individual servings. This subsection does not include beverages such as lattes and espresso that are mixed with a dairy product by the vendor during preparation.
    • Commercially prepared acidic beverages, including, without limitation, orange juice, lemonade and other similar beverages, that are served from the original, properly labeled container without the addition of ice or other regulated food products.
    • Draft beer and other alcoholic beverages that are served without the addition of potentially hazardous food (i.e., fruit).
    • Hermetically sealed and unopened containers of nonpotentially hazardous beverages which do not require refrigeration.
    • Hot chocolate or tea without the use of potentially hazardous food or dairy products.
    • Nonpotentially hazardous prepackaged baked goods, with proper labeling, from an approved source and requiring no on-site preparation.
    • Nonpotentially hazardous and unopened prepackaged food from an approved source with proper labeling, including, without limitation, honey, jerked meats, potato chips, popcorn and other similar foods. (Not a large bag dispensed into a common bowl)
    • Intact produce with no preparation, breaching of produce (i.e., cut or slices).
    • Commercially prepared, prepackaged and unopened individual ice cream containers and ice cream bars that are appropriately labeled as to ingredients and manufacturer.
    • Shelled or unshelled nuts, including flavored nuts for sample or sale, unless the nuts are processed at the event site.

    Who must obtain a permit?

    • Any person or camp wishing to share or serve food will require a permit.
    • Any theme camp or private camp that is serving meals up to 125 or more.
    • Note: Fees paid will not be refunded for failure to obtain final approval or voluntary withdrawal.

    What is the permit fee?

    • Permit Fee: $50.00 (per location)

    When will I recieve my permit?

    The Environmental Health Section has until August 18, 2023  to review your application.

    • When you are approved, a Tentative Approval will be emailed to you.
    • When you arrive at the event, and before food service begins, visit the Playa Info area at Center Camp to pick up the physical copy of your permit.


      How do I apply for a Burning Man Food Establishment Permit?

      Applications may be obtained by applying online or by mail. Applying by mail is more complicated and time-consuming, but highly preferred for international applicants. We can guide you through the process if you need help- contact us using the details below. however, if you still have problems applying online, you can download the application and apply by mail.  The deadline for submitting applications will be August 11, 2023.

      Helpful Documents

      When and where do I pick up the permit?

      • Permits Must be picked up before food service begins, in Center Camp at Playa Info
      • Dates and Times:
        • Saturday, 08/26/2023 11AM-5PM
        • Sunday, 08/27/2023 11AM-5PM
        • Monday, 08/28/2023 11AM-5PM
        • Tuesday, 08/29/2023 11AM-5PM
        • Wednesday, 08/30/2023 11AM-5PM

      International Participants

      International participants who would like to serve food products at BM2022 should contact the office via EHS Customer Service (ehscustomerservice@health.nv.gov) or by phone, and ask for a paper application. It is not recommended to attempt to apply online, as significant delays in service have resulted in multiple charges to accounts in recent years.

        Apply by mail

        DPBH, Environmental Health Section
        ATTN: Burning Man 2023
        500 Damonte Ranch Parkway, #657A
        Reno, Nevada 89521-5912
        Phone: 775-684-5280
        email: ehscustomerservice@health.nv.gov


          Any person who is hauling, delivering, vending, providing, or selling potable water to any individual or organized camp other than their own private or individual camp at Burning Man must be permitted by either the Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health (DPBH) or the Nevada Division of Environmental Protection (NDEP).

          • Annual Permit Holders
            • If your firm holds a current annual potable water hauler permit with the Nevada Division of Environmental Protection for a public water system, with an annual inspection, no additional permit will be required for participation in the Burning Man event.
            • You Must submit a copy of your current NDEP permit at least 30 days before the event begins.
          • Temporary Permits for Burning Man 2023
            • Potable water haulers who do not possess an annual permit from NDEP must obtain a permit for each potable water hauling vehicle from DPBH.
            • To apply, fill out the Potable Water Hauler permit online.
            • Potable water haulers Must also contact Burning Man's Outside Site Services (OSS) department for further requirements.
            • The fee is $50.00 (per vehicle or tank)
          • Potable Water Vendor Requirements
            • Obtain potable water only from pre-approved public water systems. No private well sources and no springs shall be considered approved public water sources.
            • Use only food/water-grade, safe, clean, and properly sanitized equipment and water tanks. Water hauling tanks must only be used for the distribution of potable water and must never have contained, hauled or carried any materials other than water or food. Tanks that have previously hauled milk are not allowed.
            • Haulers must have the ability and knowledge to safely fill water tanks at the approved public water system.
            • Label or placard all trucks and potable water tanks as follows:
            • (a) The name and address of the person or other entity responsible for performing the water hauling must appear on both sides of the tank, or on both of the doors of the vehicle, in letters completely legible at all times from a distance of 50 feet.
            • (b) The words "domestic water," "drinking water," or "potable water" must appear on both sides of the tank in letters that are completely legible at all times.
            • Cleaning and Disinfection Procedures
            • (a) Clean tank with not less than 50 PPM of Chlorine
            • (b) Agitate tank contact time for tank and hoses minimum of 30 minutes
            • (c) Properly dispose of spent chlorine solution
            • (d) Do not use solutions containing perfumes and dyes
            • (e) Use test strips to determine sanitizer concentration
            • (f) Maintain required logs of fill times and source.
            • Delivery Tank Chlorine Residuals
            • (a) Maintain the residual chlorine level in the water tank at 1-4 ppm or 1-4 mg/l.
            • (b) Maintain required log of delivery locations


          Privately owned RVs are not required to obtain a permit for disposal.

          • Annual Permit Holders
            • Contact the main office in Reno to ensure your current permit is active
            • Any additional trucks not currently permitted must be invoiced separately from the annual permit.
          • Temporary Permits for Burning Man 2023
            • If your firm is not an annual permit holder, you must obtain a temporary permit for the event.
          • Required Documentation
            • The area to be served.
            • The type of waste to be hauled.
            • The exact location of the discharge and type at each location. Including a will-serve letter from each location
            • The license number, vehcile identification number, make, model, year and color of each vehicle.
            • The capacity of each vehicle (tank size).
            • The location where each vehicle will be stored.
            • List of employee names who will be removing and disposing of sewage.
            • A description of each tank which is not physically affixed to a vehicle
            • A signed statement from the applicantthat all waste will be disposed of in accordance with law
            • A copy of the registration issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles