Environmental Health Logo

Cottage Foods Program Registration

Cottage Food Registration

A Division of Public and Behavioral Health Cottage Food Registration ONLY applies to the following counties: Churchill, Elko, Esmeralda, Eureka, Humboldt, Lander, Lincoln, Lyon, Mineral, Nye, Perishing, Storey and White Pine Counties.

    If you live in Carson City, Douglas County, Clark County or Washoe County and intend to sell a cottage food product in one of the above counties you must have a registration with the Division of Public and Behavioral Health.

      General Information

      As of May 2013, the Nevada Legislature passed a cottage foods bill which became Nevada Revised Statute (NRS) 446.866. This bill allows for some limited amount of non-potentially hazardous foods to be prepared from a person’s home, providing that person has registered as a cottage food operation. These foods may only be sold in the private home of the registered person who prepared them, in farmer’s markets, flea markets, swap meets, church bazaars, garage sales and craft fairs.

        A cottage food operation, means person who manufactures or prepares food items in his or her private home, a non-food establishment setting, for direct sale to an end customer. Cottage food preparation takes place in a kitchen that is not inspected by a health authority. A cottage food operation cannot prepare or sell food items at a permitted food establishment.


          As of January 7, 2016 Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health has an on-line application system for Cottage Food Registrations. See the link below to access the new system.

          PLEASE NOTE: For optimal use of the Online Licensing System, we recommend using Internet Explorer 9-11, Safari 5.0 and Firefox 26-40. Please do NOT use Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge.

            This system may not be compatible with phones and tablets, for best results use a desktop or laptop computer.

                Cottage Food Vendor Registration Process

                In order to operate a cottage food operation, NRS 446.866 requires that the cottage food operation register with the health authority. The health authority may require any information deemed necessary and appropriate for the registration process.

                  An application must be completed as part of this process. The application must be submitted to the health authority and will be reviewed. Go to the online application system at; https://nvdpbh.aithent.com/login.aspx, and Apply for a common Business Application (new users) or log in using your credentials (returning users).   Follow the guide, provide your information and submit the application. After it has been reviewed by Environmental Health Staff and approved. You will be notified of your successful registration.

                  Although food safety information is available on our web site for cottage food operation applicants, it is highly recommended that applicants further educate themselves about safe food handling principles and practices. According to state law, a cottage food operation may be held financially responsible for the cost of the complaint and/or foodborne illness investigation, if found to be valid.

                    Guidance Documents for the Cottage Food Program

                    Information for operating a cottage food operation can be found at the link listed below.

                    Food Items Allowed Under the Cottage Foods Law

                    • Nuts and nut mixes
                    • Candies
                    • Jams, jellies, and preserves
                    • Vinegar and flavored vinegar
                    • Dry herbs and seasoning mixes
                    • Dried fruits
                    • Cereals, trail mixes, and granola
                    • Popcorn and popcorn balls
                    • Baked goods that:
                      • Are not potentially hazardous
                      • Do not contain cream, uncooked egg, custard, meringue or cream cheese frosting; garnishes, fillings or frosting with low sugar content
                      • Do not require time or temperature controls for food safety

                    Registered Cottage Food Operators List



                      Contact Us

                      Cottage Food Program
                      727 Fairview Drive, STE. D
                      Carson City. NV 89701
                      Phone: (775) 687-7533
                      Fax: (775) 687-7551

                      General Information

                      Regulatory Partners


                      Last Updated: 6/27/2017