Environmental Health Logo

Food Establishments

General Information

The Environmental Health Section (EHS) is responsible for safeguarding the health of Nevada residents and visitors by preventing avoidable death and disease.

    The Nevada Administrative Code, Chapter 446 requires that all food establishments obtain a valid operating permit from the Health Authority. A new application must be submitted to DPBH when:

    • Opening a new food establishment; or
    • Remodeling an existing food establishment; or
    • A food establishment is sold to a new operator.

    Catering Facility

    Mobile Food Vehicles

    How to report a suspected foodborne illness

    Please contact your healthcare provider if you require medical assistance.  Please see our FAQ link to the right column on this page for more information on foodborne illness. This information is for reporting only and not intended for diagnosis or treatment.

    • Local Field Office: If you are reporting a foodborne illness Monday through Friday 8 AM to 5 PM please call your local field office.
    • Send an email: please use our email address to send your contact informatio and DPBH-EHS will return your phone call the next business day.
    • Call the 24 hour Duty Officer or use the 24 hour email to report your illness. Phone 775-400-0333 or email Epidemiology at outbreak@health.nv.gov

    Be prepared to provide us with the following information regarding your suspected foodborne illness

    • Your symptoms: time it started and frequency of events.
    • The foods you have eaten within the last 72 hours.
    • Name and locations where to food was obtained and/or eaten
    • Note: All Information provided will remain confidential.

    Meat Processing

    As of August 18, 2015 - The Nevada Department of Agriculture became the Regulatory Authority for meat processing, custom slaughter, wholesale meat processing and/or distributing and poultry processing. Retail meat counters are not included in this group. Please contact the Animal Industry Permit Desk at the Nevada Department of Agriculture for inquires and questions. Phone: (775) 353-3718.

      Facility Types Permitted in Other Counties

      The Division of Public and Behavioral Health Environmental Health Section permits these facility types within the County listed below.

      • Carson City Health & Human Services (Carson City and Douglas County)
        • Bottled Water Distributors
        • Shellfish Distributors
      • Washoe County District Health Department
        • Bottled Water Distributors
        • Campuses of Higher Learning
        • Shellfish Distributors
        • Supplement Manufacturing
      • Southern Nevada Health District (Clark County)
        • Bottled Water Distributors
        • Shellfish Distributors

      Contact Us

      Environmental Health Section
      has moved to:

      727 Fairview Drive, STE. D
      Carson City. NV 89701
      Phone: (775) 687-7533
      Fax: (775) 687-7551

      General Information

      Regulatory Partners


      Last Updated: 12/1/2017