Environmental Health Complaints
The Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health - Environmental Health Section is responsible for regulatory oversight of permitted facilities in rural counties. Filing a complaint through this system is the most direct way to submit your concern. Complaints are routed directly to the office that has oversight authority for the facility in question.
Depending on the nature of the complaint, type of food product, the place of purchase and the location it was prepared or manufactured, DPBH-EHS will either conduct the investigation or refer the complaint to the local, state or federal agency with regulatory authority.
There are four health jurisdictions in the state of Nevada. The state oversees the rural communities and specific product types in the other jurisdictions including Carson City, Douglas County, Clark County, and Washoe County.
In addition to main office located in Carson City, Nevada, the state also has offices in Elko, Ely, Fallon, Winnemucca and Pahrump. See Office Locations for details.
How to File
- Complaint Form - PDF
- Call the Complaint Line at (775) 687-7553
- If no one is available to assist you please leave a message. Every effort will be made to return your call by the next business day.
- Calls involving foodborne illness will be returned within 1 business day.
- All other calls will be returned within 2 business days.
The Environmental Health Section accepts complaints for the following issues
- Food Establishments
- Establishment Conditions
- Dog in the facility
- Illness resulting from the consumption of food made in Nevada
- Food Product Problem
- Food Employee Behavior
- Operating without a permit
- Sewage Spill or Problem
- Individual Sewage Disposal System - Failure
- Individual Sewage Disposal System - Construction without a permit
- Public Accommodations (Hotels and Motels)
- General Cleanliness
- Bed Bugs
- Public Bathing (Pool and Spa)
- Chemical Imbalance
- Structural Conditions
- Safety Issues
- Note: Residential pool complaints for mosquito or other condition should be directed to the local building department.
- Jail Conditions
- Highway Rest Area Conditions
- Recreational Vehicle Park and Campground Conditions