National Interest Waiver (NIW) Request Procedure
The Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health (DPBH) will accept requests for an attestation in support of a NIW from all physicians in an eligible practice, including all H1-B physicians in full clinical practice and from H1-B medical residents who completed their training at a health care facility in a designated shortage area.
• Practice site must be located in a federally designated Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA) or Medically Underserved Area/Population (MUA/P).
Check online to determine if your site is in a designated area:
• Practice site must accept Medicaid and Medicare and offer a sliding discount fee schedule based on family size and income. The sliding fee scale policy should identify the maximum fee charged at the site for patients at or below 100% of the Federal Poverty Level.
Submit letter of request for an attestation in support of a NIW from the Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health to:
Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health
4150 Technology Way, Suite 300
Primary Care Office
Carson City, NV 89706
Letter must include:
- Full name
- E-mail address
- Telephone number
- Country of citizenship
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Practice site name
- Practice site physical address
- Practice site HPSA or MUA/P identification number
- Practice site telephone number
- Employer's name
- Employer's mailing address
- Employer's phone number
- Practice site's Nevada Medicaid billing identification number
- Brief description of how the physician's work is in the public interest
- Describe residency training, including specialty, start and completion dates, and specialty training with corresponding time frames.
- Describe the physician's qualification for the proposed position and what the general responsibilities will be
- Define to whom you would like the letter addressed on the attestation i.e. USCIS Service Center, doctor or immigration attorney and to what address you would like the signed letter sent
Include with the letter of request for attestation:
- A copy of practice site’s Sliding Discount Fee Schedule policy
- A copy of physician’s complete curriculum vitae
- If physician received a J-1 Visa Waiver, please provide documentation of program compliance and/or letter of completion.
For questions regarding NIW support, please contact Joseph Tucker at 775-684-2232 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
NIW Reference Sources
Public Law 106-95
NIW Federal Register Notice
USCIS Overview of EB-2
US Department of Labor Certification Information