Recipients of public assistance and other low-income families have a lot to worry about, and Nevada leaders do not want diapers for infants to be one of those things. Reusing diapers, keeping diapers on too long, and not using diapers when needed can all create infection control and health issues for the child and family.
This led lawmakers to pass Assembly Bill 340 during the 2017 session, requiring the Department of Health and Human Services to appoint a committee to research opportunities to improve access to diapers and diapering supplies for recipients of public assistance and other low-income families. The law also authorized DHHS to take any necessary action to take advantage of opportunities to increase the availability of diapers and diapering supplies to these persons, such as work with diaper banks and similar organizations.
Diaper Distribution in Las Vegas
The Honest Diaper Company has established a distribution center in Las Vegas and has donated diapers to be used for low-income residents in Nevada.
If you serve this population and would like to request diapers, complete the form linked here and the Nevada Diapering Resources Committee will follow up with you.
Diapering Resources Committee
The Diapering Resources Committee (DRC) will to research opportunities to increase the availability of diapers and diapering supplies to recipients of public assistance and other low-income families in Nevada.
The committee must consist of representatives of:
- The Department of Health and Human Services who have knowledge of programs offered by the department, including, without limitation:
- programs relating to smoking cessation;
- prenatal care visits and follow-up appointments for infants and children with providers of health care; and
- Organizations located in Nevada that provide services relating to diapers and diapering supplies to recipients of public assistance and other low-income families, including, without limitation:
- organizations which advocate and provide referrals for such services.
- Meeting information (agendas, locations, etc.)
- Committee membership (as of March 2018)
Committee deliverables and status
The chart below outlines the tasks of the Diapering Resources Committee and the status of completion/deadlines.