Nevada Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention and Control Program Overview
The goal of the Nevada Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention and Control Program is to prevent and reduce premature death and disability from heart disease and stroke among Nevadans through:
- Prevention, detection, and treatment of heart disease and stroke risk factors
- Prompt and early detection and treatment of heart disease and stroke
- Elimination of disparities in heart disease and stroke care.
The Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention and Control Program (HDSPC) was established in 2013. The program is 100% federally funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The program receives an average of $845,000 per year to support infrastructure and health systems based strategies for cardiovascular health. This program focuses on modifiable risk factors targeting conditions such as high blood cholesterol, high blood pressure and diabetes mellitus as well as behavioral risk factors such as tobacco use, diet, physical inactivity, obesity and excessive alcohol use.
The HDSPC program is aligning activities around the national Million Hearts initiative to prevent one million heart attacks and strokes in five years. This will be done through engaging providers, patients, communities and other stakeholders to implement evidence-based policies and strategies that are known to have a positive impact across the spectrum of prevention and care, such as the “ABCS” of clinical prevention (Aspirin when appropriate, Blood pressure control, Cholesterol management, and Smoking cessation), and encourage healthier lifestyles and supportive communities.
- Build infrastructure by strengthening and promoting partnerships with state and local agencies, schools, universities, healthcare organizations, businesses and non-profit agencies
- Identify gaps and challenges in clinical systems to address the burden of heart disease and stroke
- Increasing quality improvement standards of cardiac and stroke care in the state through evidence-based guidelines
- Implementing and promoting policy and systems change interventions to address the burden of heart disease and stroke in Nevada.
2020 Nevada Stroke Registry Data Summary (nv.gov)